November is National Diabetes Awareness Month and a great time to get your hospital staff on board with inpatient diabetes management and education efforts that can improve patient outcomes and reduce readmissions. Here are five free resources that can help:
- Diabetes Care in the Hospital, Nursing Home, and Skilled Nursing Facility from the American Diabetes Association’s 2015 Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes. These are the most up-to-date ADA guidelines on recommended clinical care, discharge planning, and diabetes self-management education in the hospital.
- The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) Inpatient Glycemic Control Resource Center offers essential guidelines, strategies, and protocols to help guide clinical staff in managing patients with diabetes.
- The Role of Nursing in the Continuum of Inpatient Diabetes Care, a great collection of nursing resources from AACE that includes a downloadable PowerPoint presentation for nursing staff.
- Hospital Diabetes Quick Cases, a collection of educational inservices on managing blood glucose in the hospital settings (sponsored by Sanofi Aventis).
- Insulin Injection Training Tools from the Joslin Diabetes Center (underwritten by BD).