As a producer of award-winning patient education for the past 42 years, we take great pride in offering “best in class” patient education that allows our healthcare and enterprise customers to empower patients, improve outcomes, and make a real difference in people’s lives.
We strive to meet the needs of our customers and the end-consumers by following four key concepts:
Our process starts with an intent focus on our customers’ need to provide meaningful and consistent education in any healthcare system, no matter how large or small. More than just offering video and print education, this means wrapping our content in a full complement of metadata that makes it easier to assign and track education at every stage of a patient’s journey.
We also take great case to ensure that our end-consumers—the patients themselves—will find our content engaging and relevant to their lives. This means never using actors, but always featuring real patients talking about their experiences in a way that’s relatable to people from all walks of life.
To maintain our high standards, we rely on multiple feedback loops to ensure that our education remains current and relevant at every stage of the patient journey, from admission and acute care management, to the in-patient period, to discharge and the transition home, to chronic disease management. This feedback takes many forms, including:
- Focus groups and structured interviews with customers. Talking to our customers in groups or singly allows us to gain a deep understanding of the clinical workflow issues that healthcare networks have to solve when it comes to patient education.
- Surveys. We regularly survey our customer base and patients to get feedback on how our education is used and how it can be improved.
- Site Visits. Our content and production teams are regular on-site visitors at healthcare systems across the country, allowing us to gain firsthand knowledge of their needs and how we can meet them.
Compliance is key to everything we do. In general, compliance means that we follow a finely tuned process to make sure that our content conforms with the most current medical guidelines and standards for any given condition. To ensure we meet this standard, we rely on several inputs, including:
- Joint Commission standards. All of our learning objectives are developed with an eye on Joint Commission standards. When new standards are introduced, we work quickly to ensure that our existing and new content meets those standards. Additionally, to support your needs of being able to easily state what content you use aligns with which standards, all content is reviewed by a third-party Joint Commission Reviewer and documented as to which standards and elements of performance are met.
- Clinical guidelines. Our team of clinical reviewers and editors is continuously updated on clinical practice guidelines to guarantee that our content offers you and your patients the most current information. Throughout the year, our content managers also attend tradeshows and industry events across the country to stay current on evidence-based practice, while our clinical advisors are constantly funneling practice standards to our teams of writers and editors.
- Quality Initiatives. Our educational content solutions support core quality initatives like CMS hospital readmission reduction, disease specific initiatives and programs focused on shared-decision making and patient experience improvement. Additionally, content programming aligns with national organization initiatives like American Heart Association’s Get With the Guidelines®
Everything we produce—every video and every piece of print education, whether it’s new or an update—undergoes a rigorous, multi-part clinical review process by experts in our Medical Advisory Board. Our Medical Advisory Board includes specialists in cardiology, diabetes, prenatal and maternity, NICU, orthopedics, pulmonology, mental health, and many others.
These specialists are often educators themselves, working on the front lines of patient education so they are able to give us insight into the daily challenges clinicians face as they work with patients.
There’s no question that informed patients have better outcomes, so it’s critical that we find better ways to reach patients wherever they are along the care continuum with the right message. This includes making sure we provide a complete suite of metadata with every piece of content. Metadata describes the supporting pieces of information that are wrapped around all of our content, making it easier for your system to sort and use our content, no matter what type of delivery platform you have. Metadata includes elements like:
- Keywords for easy searching,
- ICD-10 codes to make it easier to match our content against your billing codes,
- Joint Commission standards so you can track education against the standards,
- Comprehension questions included with every video so you can easily measure patient comprehension,
- Teach-back questions so your staff can more easily perform critical teaching and ensure patients understand what they’ve just learned, and
- Descriptions and learning objectives, so your staff can quickly and easily see what a given piece of education is designed to teach, making it easier to use at the right moment.
As educators ourselves, we understand how important it is to engage patients throughout the care continuum. All of these steps—from ensuring compliance to review and offering complete solutions—are designed to ensure that The Wellness Network continues to produce “best in class” content.