Did you know that:
- 1 in 5 Americans is affected by a mental health condition, including adults, teens, and children, men and women, and people from every walk of life. (1)
- Almost 20% of Americans live with an anxiety disorder, and more than 20 million Americans suffer from a substance use disorder and all of the challenges that come along with it. (2)
- Mental illness is a major contributor to homelessness, with more than a quarter of adults who live in homeless shelters suffering from a serious mental illness, including anxiety disorders, depression, substance use disorders, bipolar, and schizophrenia. (3)
- Aside from the toll it takes on individual and families, mental illness is extraordinarily costly for society, with $193 billion in lost earnings in addition to the costs of direct treatment, lost workdays, and increased incidence of chronic diseases linked to mental illness.
- We are nearing epidemic proportions of suicide linked to mental illness, with increases in suicide related to substance abuse, suicide among teens and adolescents, and a staggering rate of suicide among veterans. (4)
Here at The Wellness Network, we take health seriously—we’ve devoted ourselves to producing one of the largest and most-comprehensive patient education libraries in the world, all with the goal of helping healthcare providers and hospitals give patients the tools they need to take control of their own well-being.
Now, as the full cost of mental health comes into sharper focus, we’re proud to begin production on several new and updated series of patient education videos directly addressing the most pressing conditions, including anxiety, depression, bipolar disease, schizophrenia, and stress. These new videos will join our existing education on PTSD, insomnia, opioid dependency and more to offer a comprehensive education solution for providers looking to offer their patients information they can trust on one of the most pressing health crises facing America.
- Any Mental Illness (AMI) Among Adults. (n.d.). Retrieved October 23, 2015, from http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/prevalence/any-mental-illness-ami-among-adults.shtml
- Any Anxiety Disorder Among Adults. (n.d.). Retrieved January 16, 2015, from http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/prevalence/any-anxiety-disorder-among-adults.shtm
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Office of Community Planning and Development. (2011). The 2010 Annual Homeless Assessment Report to Congress. Retrieved January 16, 2015, from https://www.hudexchange.info/resources/documents/2010HomelessAssessmentReport.pdf
- U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs Mental Health Services Suicide Prevention Program. (2012). Suicide Data Report, 2012. Kemp, J. & Bossarte, R. Retrieved January 16, 2015, from http://www.va.gov/opa/docs/Suicide-Data-Report-2012-final.pdf