Readmission Risk Reduction
Driving down readmission risk through educated patients.
Since the introduction of the Readmissions Reduction Program, Chief Nursing and Financial Officers, Quality and Risk Managers and Department Heads of hospitals and health systems have been focused on improving their outcomes for 30-day risk-standardized mortality and readmission measures.
The direct costs of readmission, which can range between $7,100-$16,500 per patient, CMS penalties, reduced patient satisfaction and poorer hospital rating linked to preventable readmissions can cause a heavy burden for facilities.
The core conditions and procedures of focus in the CMS Readmission Reduction program are:
- Acute myocardial infarction (AMI)
- Heart failure (HF)
- Pneumonia (PN) –including stays with a primary diagnosis of sepsis with secondary diagnosis of pneumonia
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Elective total hip arthroplasty (THA)
- Elective total knee arthroplasty (TKA)
- Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery
The Wellness Network’s Readmission Risk Reduction solution offers education delivered at the right time to help patients manage their condition before admission, during hospitalization and through their transition back home. Engage and educate patients to lower 30-day readmission rates and avoid costly CMS penalties.
Multiplatform delivery tools enhance the reach and efficiency of these resources through easy accessibility when and where it is needed most, while EMR integration supports assignment and tracking of education within staff workflow.
Recommended Patient Education Videos & Resources
Our patient education videos help patients understand important steps to reach their recovery goals. Each video demonstrates actions patients can take to recover and shows what types of behaviors are more likely to lead to readmission. We recommend the following HealthClips libraries:
- Cardiology Library: Managing Heart Failure, beta blockers, primary and secondary prevention, heart attack, heart surgery (including specifics about CABG) preparation, in-hospital expectations and recovery and cardiac rehabilitation
- Pulmonary Library: Managing COPD and understanding, preventing and treating pneumonia
- Orthopedics Library: Hip and Knee replacement preparation, in-hospital expectations and recovery
- Wellness Library: Smoking Cessation, Nutrition and Fitness
- Quality of Care Library: Patient Safety, Infection Control, Medications Management, and Hospital Discharge
- In-hospital TV channels
- HealthClips Online Video and Resource Library
- Tablets – ideal for use in rehabilitation setting!
SIGN UP FOR A DEMO
- Leveraging Expanded Patient Education Libraries, The Wellness Network
- Hospital Readmissions Reduction, Paula Ford-Martin
- Reducing Medicare Penalties, Paula Ford-Martin
- Reducing COPD Readmissions, Paula Ford-Martin
- New Study Finds 27-30 Day Hospital Readmissions Preventable, Paula Ford-Martin
- Heart Failure Readmissions is Your Education Program Helping, Paula Ford-Martin
- Medicare Readmissions Penalties Reach Record Amount in Third Year, Paula Ford-Martin